I’ve been kindly nominated by Emer @A Little Haze Book Blog for this award.
If you don’t already follow Emer, than do check her blog out! It’s still pretty new, but she posts really well-written reviews and insanely regular content!
- Thank the blogger/s who nominated you and provide a link to their blog.
- Write a post to show your award.
- Give a brief story of how your blog started.
- Give two pieces of advice to new bloggers.
- Select 15 other bloggers you want to give this award to.
- Comment (or pingback) on each blog and let them know you have nominated them and provide the link to the post you created.
How Alpha-Beta-Hannah Started
I actually started this blog back when I was finishing my Master’s degree at university. If you trawl back far enough through my posts, you will see a few odd things (badly-drawn dinosaur comics, a couple of personal posts and some toiletry reviews) before I settled into writing book reviews.
After that, I moved to London and just … dropped off. I started working in a school and restarted a few book reviews, but never found the time to commit to it properly.
I’ve always enjoyed reading, and get a real kick out of tracking books on Goodreads. Then I found out about NetGalley, realised that I could get sent books for free and that people would willingly read my reviews? Amazing!
I’ve now left my current job (and am waiting for the summer holidays to end/applying for more jobs in a new city) and have found I not only have the time to read more, but also to write more too. So really, the current version of this blog only started up again in June.
This has now been the longest that I’ve ever committed to blogging, but I’m planning on keeping it that way – I have an Alpha-Beta-Hannah Twitter account and am really enjoying finding out more about the blogging community, and reading more books than ever before!
And the name? I think this is my version of a bad pun – it’s my own name, Hannah, combined with Alpha Beta Gamma, to make Alpha-Beta-Hannah. I know, not that funny, but I can hear it in my head and it amuses me! I’m also an Ancient History nerd, so a little bit of the Ancient Greek alphabet goes a long way for me.
Advice for New Bloggers
Just like Emer, I don’t know if I’m qualified to give out advice, but there are a couple of things I would say:
- Blog honestly – it might be tempting to get caught up in the hype about a book, particularly if a big name author, but if it’s not for you, it’s not for you. And it’s your own opinion, so say it on your blog! (But don’t be nasty, and maybe don’t link to that author on Twitter!)
- Blog regularly – one of the things I really struggle with is posting regularly. I tend to only post when I’ve finished a book and it needs reviewing – that could be five times in a week, that could just be one! But there are things you can structure your blog around – Weekly Wrap Up, Top Ten Tuesday and WWW Wednesday / Can’t Wait Wednesday are just some of the tags that do the rounds regularly on the blogs that I follow (and sometimes I join in). They’re a great way of finding new blogs to follow, and seeing what everyone else is up to!
Feel free to participate! (Apologies if you’ve been tagged before, and no obligation to keep it going!)
A Book. A Thought
Bookmark Your Thoughts
What Rebecca Reads
The Book Prescription
Kitty Marie’s Reading Corner
If There’s a Haunted House In It, I’ll Read It
Owl Be Sat Reading
A Day-Dreamer’s Thoughts
Kristin Kraves Books
Realms of My Mind